Tips for Stretching and Strengthening Feet
Whether you’re on your feet all day at work or you are sitting at a desk, your feet are under a lot of stress. Everyone should do basic foot exercises daily, but it is especially important for women who wear high-heels or those that experience foot pain regularly. If you ignore your foot pain, it can lead to chronic pain and cause problems in your knees, hips, and back.
To care for your feet, try these stretching exercises. Stretching reduces the pain caused by arch pain and hammertoes. Here are two basic stretches:
- Standing, place the toes of one foot against the wall with your heel on the ground. Gently lean forward until you feel a stretch in your foot. Hold for 30 seconds and switch feet.
- Sitting down, stretch your leg out straight. Wrap a towel around the ball of your foot and gently pull back until you feel a stretch. Hold for 30 seconds and switch legs.
After your feet are stretched, you should work on strengthening them. Here are some common foot exercises:
- Skinny high-heels or flat sandals can lead to hammertoes and cramps. To avoid this, you can strengthen your toes by placing foam or cork separators between each toe. Once in place, squeeze for five seconds. Repeat this 10 times on each foot.
- If you suffer from plantar fasciitis or arch pain, you can easily reduce pain by getting a golf ball and rolling it back and forth under the ball of your foot. Use light pressure for one minute.
- If you suffer from toe cramps or just want to look great in a pair of heels, then do some heel raises. Stand upright, and raise the balls of your feet up off the ground and hold for five seconds. Repeat 10 to 25 times.
If you suffer from chronic foot pain, you may need more help than these simple exercises can provide. Consider scheduling a consultation with Dr. Zawada at the Family Foot Center. We specialize in all types of foot and heel pain and help patients with everything from bunions to ingrown toenails. Give us a call today at (718) 767-5555 to learn more. We take ANY INSURANCE that lets US treat YOU!